Today is Thanksgiving!!
We’re celebrating on Saturday, but I can’t let the day go unmarked. I LOVE Thanksgiving. It’s not even really eating the food, but I love making it. I love being in the kitchen with other people I love, and thinking about things that I’m thankful for.
This year, the list includes (but is not limited to):
- Our funny boy. He’s just…the best. He’s hilarious and adorable and surprises me every day with new things he can do, or tries tirelessly to do. These days more than ever, my ribcage bursts with how amazed I am that he is mine, and he is so cool.
- Family. As always. The family that I had around me growing up is now around via Skype (and also, I’m thankful for Skype), and the family I have here in Denmark is great. We’re celebrating Thanksgiving all together, which I am just so excited about. I don’t know a single person who has been as lucky as I am in the in-law department.
- Andreas–because I’ll never not be grateful for finding Andreas, and getting to keep Andreas.
- Friends. Old and new. I love my old friends, the ones I can contact after weeks, and it’s just like old times, the ones I plan to see, the ones I have Skype dates with, and even the ones I hardly speak to anymore. I’ve had amazing friends over the years. And I’m super thankful for my new friends in Denmark. And for new friends that are starting to feel like old friends. And also, thankful for the television show Friends, which remains awesome, and which I watch on a near-daily basis.
- Mini-marshmallows finally being findable in Denmark!
- Duolingo. I love learning, I love language, and now, I love Duolingo. I’m refreshing my Spanish, starting with German, and doing some of the Danish just for fun.
That’s the short list, and I know it’s mostly generic–who isn’t grateful for their friends and family? But it’s Thanksgiving, and it has to be said!
I’m preparing now for the 10-person (children included) dinner I’ll be making on Saturday. I’m doing lists, prep work, planning–the whole nine yards. It’s not that I need the dinner to be perfect, but…I just really like planning for things that I’m excited about. So I’m putting my apron on the packing list, and charging into Thanksgiving with all engines firing! HOORAY THANKSGIVING!